The mission of the University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics’ Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship is to train outstanding clinicians and leaders within the field of addiction psychiatry through in-depth training in the understanding, evaluation, and treatment of substance use disorders and co-morbid substance use and psychiatric disorders.
- Recruitment: Recruit well-prepared residents who are passionate about caring for individuals with substance use disorders and their families, who work well in a team and communicate well, and who contribute to the community through service, scholarship, science, or social responsibility.
- Training: Provide fellows with comprehensive training in addiction psychiatry, including longitudinal outpatient experiences, incorporating psychotherapy and psychopharmacology, integrating an understanding of co-occurring psychiatric and medical comorbidities as well as the entire range of addictive disorders, allowing for tailoring of the training experience, and ensuring mentorship and faculty support.
- Environment: Foster a diverse, inclusive, and healthy training environment that provides for regular comprehensive feedback and support, and allows for a balance of clinical, educational, and personal/professional responsibilities, while also allowing for each fellow to have an active role in their own professional development.
- Future: Prepare fellows to become effective leaders in a variety of settings including clinical care, advocacy, clinical education, scholarship, and public health.
We ensure that our fellows are competent in the six core competencies outlined by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME):
- Patient care and procedural skills
- Medical knowledge
- Practice-based learning and improvement
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Systems-based practice
We utilize a comprehensive system of supervision and evaluation to give fellows continuous feedback so that they can grow and monitor their progress. Fellows are evaluated utilizing the ACGME’s Addiction Psychiatry Milestones. Fellows are expected to take an active role in their training and develop an individualized learning plan.